3M™ Finesse-it™ Knit Buffing Pads are manufactured with wool fibers knit into a polyester fabric backing for applying Finesse-it™ Finishing Material or Finesse-it™ Final Finish. These pads are ideal for buffing automotive OEM, marine, and aerospace coatings. These wool pads are also effective for removing finishing abrasive sand scratches, oxidation, and other paint surface defects.
- Provides soft, smooth surface for applying 3M™ Finesse-it™ finishing products
- Wool fibers distribute material evenly and consistently
- Wool nap conforms to contours for even finishing
- 3M™ Hookit™ attachment system holds pad securely and provides quick disc/pad change-out
- Pads combine with buffers, random orbital tools, and variable speed polishers to produce desired final finish
What is the 3M™ Finesse-it™ Knit Buffing Pad 5730?
The 3M™ Finesse-it™ Knit Buffing Pad 5730 is a high-quality buffing pad designed to be used with machine polishers for restoring and polishing auto paint finishes.
How many pads are included in an inner pack and case of this product?
Each inner pack contains ten (10) knit buffing pads, while each case includes five hundred (500) such packs.
What size is each individual pad in the package?
These knit buffing pads have a diameter of three inches or about 76mm
. Is this compatible with other brand's polishing machines?
. Yes! These pads should work well on almost all brands' polisher machines, although please make sure that you match the thread size according to your machine specifications.
. When do I change it out after usage?
. It's ideal to replace these pads once they get saturated or severely deteriorated – generally every six months if used regularly or more frequently, depending on their condition after use
The 3M Finesse-it™ Knit Buffing Pads are designed to provide excellent compounding and polishing results in hard to access areas. The 85078 pads are trimmed to 15/16" in length, while the 85079 pads have a lengthier nap for good conformability over irregular surfaces. The finish results depend on the specific polish used, coating type, and the tool used.
These pads are equipped with the 3M™ Hookit™ attachment system, which allows for quick pad mounting and removal. The Hookit™ buffing pads can be easily attached to a hook-and-loop backup disc pad (sold separately) on rotary or random orbital tools. They can also be removed cleanly and re-used again and again for the life of the pad.
Compared to foam pads, wool buffing pads are generally more aggressive and easier to control. The thousands of fibers present in wool pads provide a greater available cutting surface area, resulting in faster cutting action. Wool fibers also hold the polish to provide even distribution of material and require less pressure from the operator. The nap helps wool pads glide and conform to contours, making them easier to control than foam pads.
Wool pads are effective for removing sanding scratches and perform best on rotary type buffing tools. However, depending on the polish type, individual technique, composition of the coating, and the tool used, finishing with a wool pad may require a follow-up step with a foam pad and polish to remove micro-marring or swirl marks.
- 3M trims the length of the Finesse-it™ Knit Buffing 85078 pads to 15/16" for compounding and polishing in hard to access areas.
- The lengthier nap of the 85079 pads provide good conformability over irregular surfaces.
- These pads are manufactured with the 3M™ Hookit™ attachment system for quick pad mounting and removal.
- Wool buffing pads are generally more aggressive and easier to control than foam pads.
- Wool pads have a greater available cutting surface area due to the presence of thousands of fibers, providing faster cutting action than foam pads.
- Wool fibers hold the polish to provide even distribution of material and require less pressure from the operator.
- The nap helps wool pads glide and conform to contours, making them easier to control than foam pads.
- Wool pads are effective for removing sanding scratches and perform best on rotary type buffing tools.